Financial Giving **sermon for 21 September 2024**

            Last week we talked about Witness, about sharing the great news of what God has done in and for us in Jesus Christ.  During the service 12 -16 cards were completed.

0 – 1 said they were not yet ready to commit.

0 – 1 indicated that we were not ready yet to witness, but maybe we would someday

0 – 3 of us said “not now, but we want to with all our heart”

5 – 6 responded that they will share their faith sometimes

7 – 6 said they will witness frequently

4 – 9 committed themselves to look for daily opportunities to share their faith daily

6 – 3 of us determined to make witness a priority in their lives, and that they would pray for those who are seeking and look for opportunities to invite others to join us in church

Today we are going to talk about financial giving.  Financial giving is the fifth aspect of growing and dedicated followers of Jesus.  Pastor and author Bob Crossman believes that our checkbooks should reflect our faith.  Crossman goes on to say, “if we are truly giving our whole lives to Christ, then our resources and how we choose to use them has to be a big part of the conversation.”[1]

As we talk about financial giving this morning, I am going to get personal.  You know what I make—that is a matter of public record presented at Convention and at our Annual Meeting and Election each January.  Many of you also know that I tithe.  I give 10% of my income to the church and to other organizations that make a difference in the world.

Tithing is a habit I learned from my mother.  Being a single mom with three kids was not always easy for her.  We didn’t eat out a whole lot . . . and rarely at fancy places.  Going out to the movies was also a rare treat.  Mom found that God always provided out of God's lavish abundance.  Sometimes a bag of groceries mysteriously appeared.  Other times, an anonymous friend gave Mom money.

However, if there was something we kids wanted to do, Mom and Steve made it happen.  As a kid, I may have been disappointed if I didn’t get that newest, latest toy right away.  Looking back, I can see that I truly never lacked anything.  And the camping trips and float trips built great memories of times with my family that I still treasure to this day.

I give because I know it is what God expects of me—to give as freely as I have been given.  God has given me so many blessings.  Family.  Friends.  StM and All Saints’.  Health.  Freedom.  The list goes on and on and on.  I am so grateful for all God has done for me.  And will continue to do for me.  So in thanksgiving and in gratitude, I give back to God. 

I also give because I love StM and All Saints’ and I believe there is something special here.  You and I stand in the footsteps of the Wilmarths, the Pierces, and the Roses   They believed in passing the Anglican heritage on to future generations.  Now it is up to us.  Will you and I honor their legacy?  Will we make sure that it is there for our grandchildren and great-great grandchildren?

Perhaps you and your family eat out a lot.  Or you grab a coffee out several days a week.  Consider cutting back on those.  Brown bag your lunch.  Have more dinners at home and enjoy cooking it together.  Bring your coffee from home.  Then take the money you save and place it in the offering plate.

Maybe you spend a lot of money on pleasure items.  How about not upgrading your phone every year?  Instead of five star hotels, what about a 3 or 4 star?  Again, add that money to increase your giving to your church in 2025.

There is no card in the bulletin this morning.  This is because commitment cards for 2025 will be sent out to you.  We will gather those cards in late October.  Over this next month I encourage you to join me in looking over your finances.  Do a review of your check book.  If someone looked at your check register, would they be able to see what is important to you?

I also encourage you to join me in thin king about the following questions as we plan and prepare for 2025.  Where can you adjust your current spending habits?  How can you offer just 1% or 2% more to your church family?

Finally, how do you know when your giving is right?  Here is some more advice from my Mom: “keep giving until it hurts.  When it hurts just a little, then you know you are giving the right amount to God.”



[1] Committed to Christ Program Guide.  Abingdon: Nashville, TN. 2012. P. 10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Curse and the Cure" *a sermon for 4 Lent, 10 March 2024*

March 2024 Lion's Roar

"Not Who You Think" a sermon for 2 Lent, 25 February 2024