October Lion's Roar

 

I continue to highlight “The Ten (plus one) Rules for Respect” in our monthly newsletter.  I have seen these variously attributed to Nazarene Pastor Charles Christian and leadership guru John Maxwell.  I find these basic courtesies helpful as I seek to live out the part of the Baptismal Covenant where I promise to “respect the dignity of every human being” (BCP, p 305).  May you also find them helpful.

One of the greatest gifts we can give one another is to treat each other with kindness, respect, and compassion.  This includes striving to not judge their books by their covers, so to speak..  It is so easy to make assumptions or to hold pre-conceived ideas about others- especially if we do not know him or her well.  You do know what happens when you allow those assumptions to take root in your heart and mind, don’t you?  😉

Here are the fifth and sixth rules:

5. Be careful how you interpret me-I’d rather do that.  On matters that are unclear, do not feel pressured to interpret my feelings or thoughts.  It is easy to misinterpret intentions.  So, when in doubt, ask me directly.

 

6. I will be careful how I interpret you.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Meme

September Lion's Roar

Disturbing Trends, Part II