September Lion's Roar

September is gearing up to be a very busy month!  Of course, there is the start of a new school year for our students, teachers, and staff.  We pray for a safe and successful academic year.  All who are involved in education are invited to bring their backpacks or book bags for a blessing on Sunday, 10 September.  I will welcome you up to the Altar rail following the Offering and offer a prayer for the coming school year over you.

September means that it is also time to get back to our academic year programming.  There will be lots to participate in and be a part of here at St. Mark’s as well as at All Saints’.  Please read on to learn more about Sunday School, Bible study, and some other opportunities for fellowship, fun, and food.  You’ll also want to stay tuned to your weekly announcements and eNotes as well for additional information and/or updates.  And, please, spread the word to your friends, neighbors, and coworkers.

Last month, I introduced the first two of “The Ten (plus one) Rules for Respect.” I will take time in each Lion’s Roar to highlight two of the rules each month.  I have seen these variously attributed to Nazarene Pastor Charles Christian and leadership guru John Maxwell.  I find these basic courtesies helpful as I seek to live out the part of the Baptismal Covenant where I promise to “respect the dignity of every human being” (BCP, p 305).  May you also find them helpful.

One of the greatest gifts we can give one another is to treat each other with kindness, respect, and compassion.  This includes talking WITH someone as opposed to talking ABOUT him or her.  Talking about someone behind his or her back has never solved any problems.  Not going to someone directly, and privately, also devalues the person and fails to respect him or her as a fellow beloved Child of God.

Here are the third and fourth rules:

3.  If someone has a problem with me and comes to you, send them to me.  (I’ll do the
same for you)
4.  If someone consistently will not come to me, say, “Let’s go to Dawn-Victoria+ together.  I am sure she will see us about this.”  (I will do the same for you.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Meme

Disturbing Trends, Part II